This month we’re congratulating all of our graduates!
It’s such an exciting time to be heading out into the professional world, but for those who have decided on a career path similar to our own, what does it really take to become an architect? We’ve got the inside scoop:
- Earn a bachelor’s of arts degree: this is a critical first step, as you know.
- Learn and become proficient in Computer Aided Design (CAD). This is one of the most critical softwares we use as architects.
- Find out if you require any additional training in the field. Just because you’ve earned your degree, it doesn’t mean the learning stops there.
- Apply for an internship after graduating. You’ve got to get your foot in the door somewhere and this is a great first step.
- Get licensed. This will entail taking the necessary licensing exams after completing your internship.
- Apply for a job with a firm or private practice.
- Make and keep a portfolio of your designs. Having something to show those employers is key.
- Take continuing education courses and stay up to date on all licensing requirements. Being an architect is a lifelong commitment!
Best of luck to our graduates!